What is referred to as “seedbed preparation” is one of the most important steps in agriculture, horticulture and viticulture: in fact, with soil prepared to accommodate the seed, the seedling can develop and grow luxuriantly.
To best deal with this preliminary step, it is essential to have the right equipment, designed to ensure precision and efficiency. What, then, are the best tools for preparing the seedbed? We find out in this article, delving into their features and advantages.
Why perform seedbed preparation?
The term “seedbed” refers to that surface layer of soil ranging from 3 to 5 centimeters that has been prepared to receive the seed. The seedling, in fact, needs heat, water and oxygen to grow at its best: a soil made to ensure a balanced presence of these three aspects allows for better yields and a consistent reduction in agricultural waste.
Among the benefits of good seedbed preparation we can find:
- – Reducing the phenomenon of soil compaction, which causes a progressive loss of porosity in the soil. In soil that is too compact, in fact, organic substances-air and water-are unable to reach the subsoil and over time becomes an inhospitable environment for the plant;
- – Removal of weeds that can cause damage or, in the worst case scenario, the death of the crop;
- – Realization of an excellent soil surface layer structure. This factor is important because some industry studies estimate that 70 to 80 percent of organisms are contained in the first 4 to 6 centimeters of the soil: worms, bacteria and fungi help to ensure excellent soil health, which, as a result, will produce greater yields.
How to carry out seedbed preparation?
Seedbed preparation involves multiple activities: it starts with soil refinement through which stones, weeds, weeds and all those impediments that can undermine soil fertility are removed.
At a second stage, comminution is practiced, which involves breaking up the larger clods in the soil to allow more air and water to circulate within it. It is following this stage that the soil is leveled: it will then become an even, bump-free surface, ready for cultivation.
What equipment to use
Precisely because the seedbed preparation steps are varied, the equipment with which they are carried out takes on a key role: not only does it ensure optimal results in the field, but it also has a strong impact in terms of productivity, an essential aspect in Agriculture 4.0. Among the indispensable tools to deal with seedbed preparation we can find:
- – Intercropping. As the name implies, the main function of this tool involves tilling, whereby the size of the soil clods are turned over and reduced. In fact, the goal is to bring in deep stones and other elements that may impede seedling growth, creating an even more fertile surface layer. The operation of a stone burier can continue even further with soil leveling.
- – Rotary Harrow. This is a powerful and robust implement often used in place of the plow. It is equipped with counter-rotating knife rotors and its job is to break up and level the soil to ensure proper seedbed preparation. There are specific power harrows for vineyards and for vegetables.
- – Ripper. This tool is particularly useful when faced with compacted soils that have lost some of their fertility. Acting at depth by means of vertical cuts, the ripper increases drainage capacity and leaves no traces of the tillage carried out.
- – Excavator. Breaking up clods, leveling soil, and removing debris-the excavator is used for both construction and agricultural excavation to perform all these tasks with maximum efficiency. It can be replaced by the excavation bucket.
Multifunctional dumpers: less space, more quality
Having specific tools for each agricultural activity makes it possible to improve the quality of the seedbed and, consequently, the harvest without sacrificing increased productivity.
Thanks to wheelbarrows from Cormidi, an Italian company that specializes in making dumpers, it is possible to increase the efficiency of agricultural enterprises. With a practical Quick Attack system, in fact, each implement can be assembled and disassembled in a quick time. In this way, moving from one seedbed preparation task to another becomes an easy and efficient operation. In addition, using a multifunctional dumpers results in a far smaller physical footprint.
Cormidi guarantees innovation, quality and design typical of Made in Italy. Each tool is studied in detail to improve performance in the field, increasing the speed of execution of activities. Durability over time, attention to first-rate materials and versatility create strong, robust machines that can be integrated in different contexts. Exactly what is required in today’s agricultural sector.
In horticulture as in viticulture, effective seedbed preparation is the basis for proper seedling growth. To perform it at its best, it is good to have the right equipment: tools made specifically for each individual activity and designed specifically to reduce bulk and achieve brilliant performance even years after their purchase.
It is with these assumptions that Cormidi operates every day: bringing innovative, powerful, durable and versatile machines to the market is the challenge that drives the company. If you wish to learn more and know in detail the features of the accessories in the catalog, contact our team: we will answer all your questions.